Electric fence digital voltmeter
Electric fence digital voltmeter Quickly and easily obtains a digital reading of your fence voltage with the Gallagher Fence Volt Meter. Monitors fence voltage and helps trace shorts in the fence line.
Electric fence digital voltmeter helps detect a short in your electric fence that occurs when the power escapes to the ground. This can be caused by a broken underground cable, broken wire or insulator, a loose connection, or something touching the fence, such as excessive vegetation.
Digital Voltmeter can help you locate a short source by measuring the voltage in the fence line. You can also use the Neon Fence Tester, although it is not as accurate.
How to use Electric fence digital voltmeter
- Attach it to the fence line, moving it laterally to get a good contact, and place the probe in the ground. You will see a reading on the screen – on a good electric fence line this should be in excess of 6,000 volts.
- If the voltage is just slightly below normal – say 5,000 volts – then you probably have a small fault caused by light vegetation, for instance. However, if the reading is substantially lower, then a major fault exists.
- To find this fault, move along the fence line, taking readings every 100 metres or so. As a rule of thumb, the voltage will drop roughly 100 volts every 100 metres as you head in the direction of the fault, and will then level out once you pass the fault.
- If the fault is not obvious, you should systematically isolate areas of your electric fence using cut-out switches Once you have located the problem area, you may have to isolate individual wires to pinpoint the problem.
- Electric fence digital voltmeter
Electric fence digital voltmeter specifications
|ITEM WEIGHT||3 ounces|
|PRODUCT DIMENSIONS||7.01 x 1.3 x 2.76 inches|
|ITEM MODEL NUMBER||MLD-003|
|IS DISCONTINUED BY MANUFACTURER||No|
|DESCRIPTION PILE||9V.6F22or equivalent|